Someone asked me yesterday about my “defining SEO moment”. Essentially, they wanted to know how I got *here* and what decision or moment stands out in mind as being “key” to everything that has happened since. I thought about it for awhile and, in doing so, realized that there have truthfully been a lot of defining moments in this little SEO career of mine. Some moments that immediately jumped out at me?
- Hounding & stalking Bruce Clay, Inc. for two weeks in January 2006 before they finally agreed to hire me.
- Getting painfully threadwatch’d a few months later.
- Getting figuratively hit by a bus after this.
- Moving from LA to Troy, NY.
- The moment Rhea and I decided to stop living by others’ standards and started Outspoken Media.
- Getting weird at TEDxAlbany.
- And so many more along the way.
Thinking about the question for myself made me want to hear from others. I asked my Twitter followers about their defining moment. What was the moment that got them here? I have to admit, I was pretty taken back by the insightfulness of many of the answers. So much so that I decided to include the responses I received here. I think you’ll agree they’re pretty kickass.
If your story isn’t here, I’d love it if you’d share it in the comments below.
What is your defining SEO career moment?