Someone asked me yesterday about my “defining SEO moment”. Essentially, they wanted to know how I got *here* and what decision or moment stands out in mind as being “key” to everything that has happened since. I thought about it for awhile and, in doing so, realized that there have truthfully been a lot of defining moments in this little SEO career of mine. Some moments that immediately jumped out at me?
- Hounding & stalking Bruce Clay, Inc. for two weeks in January 2006 before they finally agreed to hire me.
- Getting painfully threadwatch’d a few months later.
- Getting figuratively hit by a bus after this.
- Moving from LA to Troy, NY.
- The moment Rhea and I decided to stop living by others’ standards and started Outspoken Media.
- Getting weird at TEDxAlbany.
- And so many more along the way.
Thinking about the question for myself made me want to hear from others. I asked my Twitter followers about their defining moment. What was the moment that got them here? I have to admit, I was pretty taken back by the insightfulness of many of the answers. So much so that I decided to include the responses I received here. I think you’ll agree they’re pretty kickass.
If your story isn’t here, I’d love it if you’d share it in the comments below.
What is your defining SEO career moment?
About the Author
Lisa Barone co-founded Outspoken Media in 2009 and served as Chief Branding Officer until April 2012.