Welcome back to the weekend, my dear friends. Hopefully it was a short week for you and you were able to make it through relatively unscathed. Please think good things for me while you ease into your weekend. As you read this, I’m on my way down to Yankee Stadium and, well, I hear that’s not a safe place for a Red Sox fan. I’ll let you know how it goes. If I make it out a live.
While I’m getting pummeled with plastic cups and hot dogs, check out my link picks for the week. There’s some good stuff. And there are primates. So, a win for everyone really. ;)
- Body goes undetected in public pool for days: The Massachusetts Conservation and Recreation Commissioner called the incident “disturbing and unreal” leaving out the more obvious “totally, totally GROSS”. Don’t swim in cloudy water. There may be dead bodies at the bottom of the pool.
- Diet soda is why you’re fat: Over the course of 10 years, diet soda drinkers saw a 70 percent increase in waist circumference compared to non-drinkers. Drink more than two diet sodas a day and that jumps to a 500 percent greater waist circumference. Dude. Just say no. Aspartame is evil. Water is delicious.
- A Woman’s Place: The story of how (and why) Sheryl Sandberg left Google for Facebook and how she’s changing the culture of tech.
- Monkey steals camera to snap himself: Maybe the greatest story to come out of this week. A monkey steals a tourist’s camera and then uses it to take hundreds of photos of himself and his primate friends.
- Define the ratio of people to cake: Answers to the 20 craziest job interview questions used by companies like Google, Capital One and Goldman Sachs. Also, if you asked Rhea what she played with as a child, I’m pretty sure her answer would be the same as this dude’s. But don’t tell her I said that.
- I flunked my social media background check: Turns out those pictures of you doing a drunken keg stand while surrounded by red plastic cups won’t hurt your chances at getting a job. It’s mostly your frequent mentions of all those illegal drugs you do that will. And if you’re racist.
- Bareheaded motorist dies in helmet protest: During a ride to protest mandatory helmet laws, a 55-year-old New York man was thrown from his bike and landed on his head. He died at the hospital. If you’re gonna take advantage of the gorgeous weather to ride your bike (whether it’s a motorcycle or a bicycle) please be safe. People probably love you. And if they don’t, then they really don’t want to clean you off the road.
- Wife tries to smuggle husband out of jail in suitcase: I…uh…what?
- My drunk kitchen holiday: What’s more American than baking apple pie on July 4th? Nothing. Caution: Some strong language. And equally strong drinking.
That’s it. Don’t forget to tune into Expert Week 2011 kicking off on the blog on Monday. I’ll be by the pool if you need me. ;)