Well, hello there, Friends. Welcome back to the weekend. You look like you deserve it. I have to do about a million things before me, Rae, Rhea and Dawn all head off to Vegas for PubCon on Monday. So let’s just hop into some juicy links to help us all start our day and prepare for awesomeness. I’ll share mine first, then it’s your turn. Don’t let me down, Internet.
- Woman falls off horse, picks up her own head: I…I mean…I can’t even picture this in my mind and I’m not sure that I want to. How do you carry your own head? How are you ALIVE if you can carry your own head? I have so many questions that I don’t want answered.
- My Son is Gay: This is filled with awesome and I’d urge you to read it. It’s not okay to bully. Ever. Even if you try to write it off as “concern”.
- Amazing Facts About Facebook And Breakups: More proof that Facebook knows everything, they can even predict when your significant other will break up with you. Don’t be alarmed, but it’s probably going to happen two weeks before Christmas. Feel free to buy yourself a present instead of your “beloved”.
- The Smiley Becomes The Feeling: How every day communication has devolved to include the phrase “LOL”. So sad. So true.
- How To Interject In A Meeting: In case standing up and yelling, “SHUT UP!” has proved ineffective, the Harvard Business Review provides some more subtle alternatives. Personally, I just start screaming. Or say nothing and then passive aggressively share my frustrations on Twitter. That’s just how I roll.
- Unicorns, Rainbows and Work-Life Balance: Do you enjoy your life while you’re in the moment? Are there people in it that you will drop everything for, without exception? This is an important one for a lot of us to read. You may be running a successful business, but at what expense?
- Justin Long is a ‘Milky Mook’: Critic Michelle Orange went to see Going The Distance starring Drew Barrymore and Justin Long and didn’t care for the movie. However, what really offended her was Justin Long ‘milky mook’ face. This link goes to his very classy response to the critic who ripped apart his looks in full public view. If you ever find yourself at the center of an Internet flame war, you could take some advice from Justin.
- Take Your Blog Seriously: If you’re going to do it, do it right. Otherwise, don’t waste everyone’s time.
- Is It Better To Buy Or Rent (calculator): Thanks to Susan Esparza for showing me this one. It’s a calculator that shows if it’s better for you to buy or rent in this market. Unless I’m going to stay in a house for more than five years, it seems I’m better off renting. Good to know.
- The Evolution of the Geek: We went a little while in the office trying to match Outspoken staff member to his/her corresponding geek. It makes for hours of entertainment.
And that’s it for me. Whatcha got?
About the Author
Lisa Barone co-founded Outspoken Media in 2009 and served as Chief Branding Officer until April 2012.