Weekend Coffee Links – Lessons for Kids Editionby Lisa Barone on 02/18/2012 • No Comments | Reading Nuggets
Welcome back to the weekend, friends! I hope you had a fantastic week and accomplished everything you needed to. And if you didn’t, don’t worry. That’s what next week is for. And maybe even the week after that. Below are some of my favorite link finds of the week, which range from sloths learning to poop, to love stories, to stories about punching people in the face. What more could you really ask for?
Hop into these link favorites and then let us know what caught YOUR eye this week.
- You didn’t thank me for punching you in the face: Tired of people telling her young daughter that boys push her because they like her, this mom rants back. I’m not exactly sure I agree with the tone, but there’s a valid message here underneath the anger. Should we really be teaching young girls to equate physical violence/pushing with love? I think most of us would agree we shouldn’t.
- A Brother and Sister Get Married (And Later, Their Son Tweets It): A gorgeously sweet story. And don’t worry. The couple wasn’t related, they were religious.
- How 1-minute intervals can improve your health: Twenty minutes of exercise a day is all you need to feel better. Twenty minutes. Everyone has time for that. Even you, Mr. Busy Person.
- Look to weaknesses to find your leadership strengths: Whether you have an actual disability or a weakness in some other area, it could be just the thing to make you an excellent leader and person. This article helps you explore it.
- F*ck the latte!: Makes the argument that if you want to save $5 a dollar day you should do so by making five dollars MORE a day, not sacrificing your morning latte.
- How Target figured out a teen girl was pregnant before her father did: This is an awesome article that everyone involved in online marketing should read. Just because you KNOW something about someone…doesn’t mean it’s not in your best interest to play dumb every once in awhile. The first date analogy used is pretty on point.
- How to identify and address your burnout problem: I’m trying not to take it personally that their list of “burnout symptoms” is basically an aggregation of all my normal personality traits. I’m a bad person.
- 9 essential skills kids should learn: I love this post. Leo Babauta outlines nine things that parents should be teaching their kids that most probably aren’t. Numbers 6 and 9 are biggies for me. If you like this post, I’d also recommend this post called What I’ve Learned About Smart People.
- Potty training a sloth baby: As the woman says, you can lead a sloth to the poop hole, but you can’t make him poop.
- How to make tiny taco bowls: You may not be at all interested in this but it kind of blew my mind. I know what I’m having for dinner next week. Yes. All. Week!
And that’s it from us. What’d you read this week that was pretty awesome? Let us know and we’ll meet you back here next week.
About the Author
Lisa Barone co-founded Outspoken Media in 2009 and served as Chief Branding Officer until April 2012.