Weekend Coffee Links: Conference Rush Editionby Lisa Barone on 02/25/2012 • 1 Comment | Reading Nuggets
Happy Weekend! I’ll be spending mine getting caught up on things before heading to San Jose on Monday to attend and liveblog SMX West. Going? Cool. I’ll see you there! Stuck at work? No worries, we’ll be bringing you all the coverage you can handle so make sure you’re subscribed to the OSM blog. You don’t want to miss anything. Trust me.
But before I jet off and leave you all for the West Coast, let’s enjoy some weekend coffee links. They’re just what the doctor ordered.
- Scifi Author Spoils His Entire Books For Terminally Ill Fan: An author sends a terminally ill fan an advanced copy of his next book and agrees to spoil the entire series in a phone call or face to face. Sometimes you have to really love people. And the Internet. Start your weekend off with this video.
- I’d Like to Thank My Twitter Followers: Understanding that social media drives engagement, this year’s Oscars (happening Sunday) will be chock full of tweets, hashtags, and snarky commentary broadcasted to the masses.
- Does God Get Thanked More Than Oprah?: Slate crunches the numbers on 10 years of Oscar acceptance speeches and then makes the data interactive. There’s nothing sexier than interactive data.
- The Myth of the Eight Hour Sleep: Suddenly everything you thought you knew about sleep is wrong. If you have issues with sleep it may be because you’re trying to force your body to do something that’s unnatural. Me? I sleep like a baby for a solid nine hours. I’m clearly easy to train.
- Court Orders Man To Apologize To Estranged Wife on Facebook: A judge ruled that a comment Mark Byron made on Facebook violated a restraining order put in effect to prevent him from causing his ex-wife or their child physical and/or mental abuse, harassment, annoyance or bodily injury. As such, he was forced to go back on Facebook to apologize and leave it there for at least 30 days to make sure everyone saw it. Suddenly, we’re all back in kindergarten.
- Reward Value, Not Face Time: I like posts that I feel put the focus on the right aspect of work-place life. This is a good one.
- How Seinfeld’s Productivity Secret Fixed My Procrastination Problem: Those of you with OCD will find this particularly helpful. Must Not. Break. The Chain.
And that’s it? Have a link you want to share with our readers? Drop it in the comments.
About the Author
Lisa Barone co-founded Outspoken Media in 2009 and served as Chief Branding Officer until April 2012.