Happy Saturday! I hope you all kicked butt this week and accomplished more than you ever thought you could. I’m finally upright again and can move… so naturally it won’t stop raining. Life is funny, eh? And it’s also filled with great links! You know the drill. Below are some of the links that best caught my eye this week. Maybe they’ll give you a giggle or something to think about. And if not, than share what moved you.
- Why I Fired Steve Jobs: A nice lesson in why sometimes you simply can’t rein someone in, and why that’s okay. And, really, who doesn’t like making people regret the day they did them wrong? Is that petty? It is, isn’t it? I don’t care. You all know I’m right.
- Why I Sold Zappos: I try to keep tech stuff out of the Weekend links posts, but this is just too good to not include. It’s all about how Tony saved Zappos by staying true to its core values, despite what his board wanted. Love it. Read it. Learn from it. Maybe not in that order.
- Don’t ask whether girls are actually bad at math. Ask why we’re still having this discussion: Sometimes we create gender wars that don’t really exist. This may be one of those times. Even if I do suck at math.
- Bounce Bargain Rentals: WAIT, DON’T CLICK YET! If you’re an SEO I want you to think about your worst client, the worst site you’ve ever seen, and how angry it made you feel. Then I want you to click on this link. It’s not so bad now, is it?
- Gamers’ bodies like 60-year-old chain smokers: See, now when I tell him to stop playing video games I’m not being a nag. I’m SAVING HIS LIFE!
- BP Spills Coffee: Hint: They’re not *really* talking about coffee.
- Rethinking the stop sign: Okay, who thinks this idea was created in a long committee meeting? I do.
- My mom needed me to let the plumber in while she was at work: Okay, I know this SOUNDS like the intro to a porn link, but I promise you it’s not. It’s actually a really funny (and endearing) story from Michael VanDemar. Read it.
- Kristin Steward ‘Enjoys’ the MTV Movie Awards – A Photo Essay: Don’t judge me.
- 100 ways to be elegant: I feel classier just having read this.
- Rescue teams reach stranded teen sailor: The 16-year-old girl who lost contact trying to sail around the world has been rescued. Rejoice. Her and the 13-year-old-boy who climbed Everest are probably going to celebrate now by going to the mall.
That’s my link collection for the week. What do you have for me?
About the Author
Lisa Barone co-founded Outspoken Media in 2009 and served as Chief Branding Officer until April 2012.