Welcome back to Saturday! I don’t know about you, but I had quite the roller coaster week this time around. I hope yours was calmer and that your plate is looking just a little less full than it did on Monday. Either way, the good news is the entire weekend is still yours and you can do absolutely anything you want with it. As for me, I’m on my way out to go do some neighborhood clean up to make Troy, NY a little more beautiful for Earth Day. Dirt, here I come!
Oh, and for you, here are some fun weekend links. Grab some coffee and dig in.
- First and Last: A really powerful read from blogger Leah Peterson about her first and last experience with crystal meth and the moments that make us reevaluate our lives.
- How I Did It: Jerry Murrell, Five Guys Burgers and Fries: Speaking of drugs and things that are bad for you – omg, Five Guys. Now I’m drooling. But a good read on how one of the most popular (and delicious) burger chains got off the ground and Jerry’s reluctance to franchise.
- Sometimes I forget I have a blog, because I’m so busy mocking nerds on Twitter: Included for the title alone. Because…well, truer words have never been spoken.
- You learn something new everyday: Dude. DUDE! Imagine my horror to hear I’ve been eating cupcakes wrong MY ENTIRE LIFE! Why didn’t I think of this? I am worthless.
- Bill Gates on Journalism and Social Media: Bill Gates answers why he’s following Ashton Kutcher and Ashley Tisdale on Twitter. And other stuff about the intersection between social media, journalism and how he’s using Twitter to save mainstream media.
- Promiscuous women cause earthquakes: Ladies, the next time you grab that little skirt or the top that makes your boobs look awesome, think about what you’re doing to the world. Don’t even get God started on what happens when you wear red underwear.
- Bear With Us: Dorky maintenance pages, FTW! Hi, Pickles! We forgive you.
- Relationship Hacks: If I could be any woman on the Web, I may just want to be Maggie Mason. And because she’s awesome, Maggie shares a MetaFilter thread on relationship hacks to help keep you grooving with the awesome person in your life. And no judging if that’s just your pet. Dogs like date night, too.
- Man loses licence after drink-driving in toy Barbie car: The further down this story you read, the more awesome it gets.
That sums up what I’ve got. How about you?
About the Author
Lisa Barone co-founded Outspoken Media in 2009 and served as Chief Branding Officer until April 2012.