Holla! I mean, um, hello. It is Saturday, so please let me be among the first to welcome you to your weekend. How was your week? Did it nearly kill you? I know, me too. But now there are scrumptious links to look forward to as you nom your breakfast and maybe throw back some coffee. Are you ready for this?
- How to get a real education: Stand out pick from the week. If you read one thing today, make it this.
- Are you following a bot: I try to stay way from “work-related” material on the weekends, but this article from The Atlantic on the sophistication of Twitter bots is just too awesome.
- The Sleepless Elite: I can’t lie. My favorite part of this article is where the author notes that “short sleepers”, people who only need a few hours of sleep a night, tend to gravitate toward careers in blogging, video game design and social media.
- How self-compassion trumps self esteem: Treat yourself like you’d treat a friend aka it’s okay to stop beating yourself up because you didn’t grow up to be an astronaut.
- The power of words: A reader sent me this and I nearly bawled my eyes out (it’s been one of those weeks). I’d really encourage you to give it a watch. You’ll learn something that may help your Web site, but you may also feel human again.
- China bans time travel in TV shows, movies: China has banned any depiction of time travel in TV or movies, saying it disrespects history. There you have it. In China, censorship = okay, time travel = disrespectful. Got it.
- Animal impressions : I’m not sure whether to be IMPRESSED by this girl or seriously concerned. I’ll let you be the judge.
- How to lose graciously: Sorry, Tiger, you’re still doing it wrong. And that’s America will still always kind of hate you.
- Creepy sculptures carved from bananas: What? It’s a niche.
That’s what I read this week. What about you? Let us know in the comments.
About the Author
Lisa Barone co-founded Outspoken Media in 2009 and served as Chief Branding Officer until April 2012.